As the name suggests, environmental science is the course designed to study the aspects of environment with scientific reasoning that even includes the subjects of social science and humanities. In simple words, Environmental Science is a branch of science which studies the effects of physical, chemical, and biological conditions of the environment and their effect on organisms. It is closely connected with “ecology” that deals with the relations of organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings. B.Sc. in Environmental Science is an undergraduate course where the learning is proceed with the concepts such as sustainable resource development, environmental health, and ecological sustainability, among others.
Objectives of the course
The course is not a traditional subject taught to the students from years and years but is common among the students as environment is one of the most crucial object for existence of humans and organisms. Here are some major objectives of introducing the courses:
- To create the scientific knowledge and techniques needed to understand environmental patterns and processes,
- To investigate ecosystems and address local and global environmental issues,
- To make the students aware about the direct relation between environmental science and human society how environmental science is directly related to the human society.
- To develop the concept of Interaction of organisms within the physical surrounding
- To know more about the sustainable way of living.
- To spread awareness about the behaviour of organisms under natural conditions.
- To make people aware about environmental problem & issues.
- To make the effective uses of natural resources with no harm in the environment
- Facilitate people with the importance of environment and its conservation
- To develop the skilled personnel in the field of ecology, environment Natural Resources Conservation, Pollution Monitoring and Control, Environmental Impact Assessment, and Environmental Protection Laws.
The course named as Bachelors in Environmental science is comprised of biology, chemistry, geology, and mathematics. It deals with environmental laws and resources conservation and management. It involves biostatistics and research methodology as well. Thus, the overall course focuses on the betterment of environment and life of living organisms, plants and wildlife.
Scope of Environmental Science
Wherever you live, you cannot stay well in absence of a healthy environment. Due to the growing population and over pollution, the concept is a matter of concern for everyone in order to exist. Here are few scopes of Bachelors in Science in Environmental Science:
- Environmental Scientist
- Environmental Consultant
- Environmental Science Manager
- Wildlife Film-maker
- Environment Photographer
- Environment Journalists
- Conservation Hydrologist
- Director of Waste Management
- Environment activist
- Forensic biologist
- Health Safety Engineer
- Land Management Specialist
Universities offering the course in Nepal
The scope of environmental science is immense in present scenario. Thus, here are few universities and the name of the colleges with their affiliation that offers the program to their students.
- Tribhuvan University
BSc. Environment is a four year course for undergraduates in Nepal under Tribhuvan University. The interested candidates must have passed the intermediate level science or plus two science or A-level science or I.Sc from TU or Board/ University/ Institution accepted by TU in science stream in order to join the course. Here are the name of few colleges under the affiliation of this university.
1.Khwopa College, Bhaktapur
2.GoldenGate International College
3. Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus
4. Amrit Science Campus
5. College of Applied Sciences,
6. Xavier International College
7. Birat Science Campus,
8.Janapriya Multiple Campus
9. Damak Multiple Campus
10. Hari Khetan Multiple Campus
2. Kathmandu University
3. Naaya Aayam Multi-disciplinary Institute (NAMI)
Gokarneshwor-7, Jorpati, Kathmandu
Thus, BSc in Environmental Science is a vague topic that comprises the overall aspects of a physical surrounding for the existence of humans and every living organisms. The program is a practical course that is in need of human society in order to maintain the overall existence.